Good Read

Spoonfeedin WOrld

Sport – One dead, nine hurt in attack on African football stars

Gunmen shot at buses carrying Togo’s football team to the African Nations Cup in Angola, leaving one dead and nine wounded, but organisers insisted the tournament would go ahead.

Two players were among the injured, while a driver was killed as bullets sprayed at the team’s vehicles as they crossed into Angola’s restive Cabinda province on Friday from Congo-Brazzaville, according to a Togo official.

Many dived under their seats when the gunfire started. Squad member Thomas Dossevi said the team — one of the strongest in African football — had been “fired on like dogs”.

Two players — goalkeeper Kodjovi Obilale and defender Serge Akakpo — were among the wounded, Dossevi told AFP.

“The assailants were hooded and armed to the teeth. We stayed under the seats for 20 minutes. It was horrible.”

Two English Premiership players — Manchester City striker Emmanuel Adebayor and Aston Villa midfielder Moustapha
Salifou — emerged unharmed from the attack, their clubs said.

Angola’s government denounced the attack by the separatist Front for the Liberation of the Enclave of Cabinda
(FLEC), and in a statement “reiterated its total commitment to guaranteeing everyone’s security”.

Advertisements

January 9, 2010 - Posted by | Uncategorized |

No comments yet.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: